Thanks for the reply Andre!  So I could configure awesome to have the
'border' I was talking about so all the software is shown on the visible
section of the screen?  Can this be adjusted in a live environment so I can
more or less create a slider that will change the size of the 'border'
without having to reboot or cycle things?

Also I've searched my tv for a setting to resolve the overscan.
Unfortunately my tv is a cheap one and only has about 4 configuration
sections containing about 6 parameters each.  No submenus or other complex
structures.  I wish I could have configured the tv, but sadly there is no
option for this.  I could look at the receiver, but I doubt that would fix
anything since it's not the component that's causing the overscan.

Thanks,
Dave