Ah, I see now. At the beginning I was thinking about something like
"Drag-n-drop Lua with Awesome bindings".

So, you want to see something that most major WM have. The only thing that
I don't quite understand on your picture is the "New Widget" dialog. How
will this work? As far as I can see you will still need to write some Lua
code in order to create a meaningful widget, simple UI elements won't do
the trick here.
If I recall correctly in Gnome you can't create a new item for your panel
from GUI, you have to write some actual code and then somehow register it
(or a binary compiled from this code) the the Gnome UI Settings knows about
it.
Maybe something similar can be done in Awesome.

- Eugene