Hello,

Honestly, if you have root access to the RHEL computer, I suggest you
make a debian chroot (using debootstrap) in yout home directory for
newer packages. RHEL5 is very old and EOLed for most users. I
understand some users can upgrade and you probably can't do much about
it. It is why a chroot make sense. It allow you to have up to date
software semi isolated from your main system. I am not sure the Cairo
version used in RHEL5 have proper XCB support and other features
required by Awesome, we are talking 2007 Linux, you can't expect 2014
software to work as expected. The same can be said of Windows 8.1
(2013) apps on Windows Vista (2007).

I have worked in the scientific community where using badly outdated
RHEL/SL is common and seen/used this work around many times. Note that
you will have to disable DBus support as chroot and dbus are not very
good friends.