I'm still on the Ubuntu Server 14.04 package version of Awesome (3.4.15),
but for what it's worth...

I used to do this (may work for you)...
        <cut>
        client.add_signal("manage", function (c, startup)
        <cut>
                if not startup then
                        -- Test
                        -- naughty.notify({ title="Signal: " .. c.name,
text=c.class .. ", " .. c.type .. ", " .. c.instance, timeout = 5 })

                        -- Add a titlebar
                        if c.name ~= "mythfrontend.real" and c.class ~=
"Remmina" then
                                awful.titlebar.add(c, { modkey = modkey })

                        end
        <cut>

Thanks to your email I now do this...

        -- Add titlebar to windows
        <cut>
                { rule = {},
                  except_any = { name = { "mythfrontend.real" } },
                  callback = awful.titlebar.add
                }
        <cut>