This was perfect! I wouldn't have thought, that there would be such an easy
solution. Thank you!
Andreas

     Benoît Zugmeyer <ben...@zugmeyer.com> schrieb am 20:51 Mittwoch, 7.Januar
2015:

 I did it for a single type of window, like that:
https://github.com/BenoitZugmeyer/dotfiles/blob/master/.config/awesome/rc.lua#L607-L610
All my terminals are opening as the first slave window.

You may be able to do this for all clients by moving the line

  awful.client.swap.byidx(awful.tag.getnmaster(), c)

in the callback

  client.connect_signal("manage", function (c, startup)
  end)

--
Benoît Zugmeyer