Hi,

On 29.03.2015 18:09, Felix E. Klee wrote:
I am looking for a window manager with virtual desktops, where I can
configure different screen resolutions for each desktop. A lower
screen resolution may also be realized by some kind of software zoom
tool.
[...]

Sorry, but awesome is not the right tool for you. It handles changes of the display size by restarting and loses all state. Switching the physical resolution also always causes flicker when the monitor is reconfigured.

The best way to do something like this with X11 might be through a composite manager. Such a program gets all the window contents and then "composes them" to produce the final result for output. Such a program could scale up a window before drawing it to the screen without the "real" physical resolution being affected. However, X11 does not allow to re-route mouse events, so this would break input. This is why (AFAIK / AFAIR) compiz' screen magnifier has some "weird moving things around when you move the mouse cursor"-behavior.

So the best-best technical way for this would be wayland. Wayland also allows the compositor to "mess" with mouse events and correct for any scaling that might be applied to the client window.

Cheers,
Uli