Alan Bateman said the following on 04/20/11 21:55:
David Holmes wrote:

It's a different definition of "headless". The JDK can have headful capabilities but operate in headless-mode - all the libs are still present. The SE-Embedded headless JRE has had all the headful libs stripped out. We use the absence of the libs to recognize that this is a headless-JRE and use that to set the java.awt.headless property so that the Java libs act in headless-mode. So the VM drives this.
I guess I'm wondering if the absence check could be done in the AWT code rather than in the VM.

The only glitch I see with that is that the GraphicsEnvironment.getHeadlessProperty code is Java code while to check for the native lib we'd need native code.

It's doable I guess, but is it worthwhile? What problem are we trying to solve?

David