----- Original Message -----
> On 2014-02-05 16:15, Omair Majid wrote:
> > * Andrew Hughes <gnu.and...@redhat.com> [2014-02-04 19:26]:

> >> In this respect, why does this not just use AC_ARG_ENABLE as there are
> >> only
> >> two options here (system libpng or bundled libpng)?
> >>
> >> Also, this patch hardcodes the libpng cflags and ldflags when these should
> >> be obtained from pkg-config. This is how these values are obtained in
> >> IcedTea
> >> and using this patch would thus be a regression.
> > The answer to both of these is the same: I followed how the existing code
> > handles zlib. If this needs fixing, then it needs to be fixed in the
> > other cases (zlib and giflib) too.
>
> I agree with your thinking here. Following the existing patterns is
> good. If they should be extended with using pkg-config (which probably
> is a good idea), then that should extend to all these libraries.

You're already using it:

PKG_CHECK_MODULES([LIBFFI], [libffi])

Why that's in LIB_SETUP_STATIC_LINK_LIBSTDCPP, I have no idea.

> As an answer to Andrew as to why --with-libX=system/bundle instead of
> enable/disable:
>   * First, the semantics of enable/disable inherited from autoconf is
> that enable/disable is about "features", but with is for external
> "packages". While this difference is not always applicable, I do think
> that external libraries should indeed be specified using --with-X.
> * Second, I believe the original intention was to allow for a third
> option, --with-libX=<dir>, which would point to an location in which the
> library is installed, similar to how e.g. --with-alsa works.

Yes, but you don't allow that:

    AC_MSG_ERROR([Invalid value for --with-zlib: ${with_zlib}, use 'system' or
'bundled'])

so using --with-x is confusing if someone does specify a directory.

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07