Hi Dmitry,

Actually the parent frame doesn't own the input focus when the issue happens. The focus is on the dialog already and when FOCUS_GAINED event comes for the dialog the KFM discovers that the dialog should not have the focus and rejects it in line 588 of the DefaultKeyboardFocusManager:

                            restoreFocus(fe, newFocusedWindow);

This happens when the dialog became non-focusable (non-visible) after the focus request is sent, but before the corresponding FOCUS_GAINED event is handled on the EDT. In this case the focus is directly restored to the previously focused window which doesn't have the focus at this moment and input focus cannot be requested to one of its components synchronously.
Please confirm whether you agree on the root cause of the bug.

You are right. I agree with your evaluation.
Thanks.
Before setting the restoreFocusTo to toFocus in line 190 I would recheck for toFocus.isShowing() && toFocus.canBeFocusOwner() once again because the component can be made non-focusable concurrently.

--Semyon