From: Alexey Ivanov
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 12:10 AM
To: Shashidhara Veerabhadraiah <shashidhara.veerabhadra...@oracle.com>; Sergey
Bylokhov <sergey.bylok...@oracle.com>; Krishna Addepalli
<krishna.addepa...@oracle.com>
Cc: awt-dev@openjdk.java.net; swing-...@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: <AWT Dev> <Swing Dev> [12] JDK-7124285: Nothing heard from
VoiceOver regarding the status of the progress bar

Hi Shashi,

On 23/11/2018 06:04, shashidhara.veerabhadra...@oracle.com wrote:
> Hi Alexey, The accessible information is already set for the component
> in question and that is the reason it works with the accessibility
> short cut(without this fix).

Then there's no bug.
Hence there's nothing to fix.

> Now the question is that my fix works across platforms and for tab key
> based focus traversal. So even without this fix, it works with
> accessibility short cut only on mac. My understanding is that
> accessibility short cut is specific to mac and there is nothing that
> we can do as those are handled at the OS level. Tab key is used on
> java for traversal and it works for other component's accessible
> information being voiced over but not for this component(which was
> fixed under this bug for all platform).

I don't agree to making JProgressBar focusable because it's not supposed to be
focusable.

Yes, that accessibility shortcut is specific to macOS, more precisely it's
specific to VoiceOver.

If VoiceOver reads the value of the progress bar when it's selected using
VoiceOver navigation keys, then it works as expected, doesn't it?

Tab key is universally used to navigate between *interactive* components such
as text fields and buttons.
No, Tab key does not work for other unfocusable components such as JLabel and,
as Sergey pointed out [1][2], for disabled components.

So Tab key is used for a different purpose. It was already discussed in this
thread [3].

Other platforms have other accessibility tools with their own specific shortcut
keys to navigate between components. You would use the shortcuts specific to
your accessibility tool. If it does not work — you cannot navigate to the
progress bar or its state is not read when you navigate to it — then it's a bug.

To sum up:
JDK-7124285 [4] is not a bug. So you will close it as Not an Issue. In a
comment you will explain what keys are used to select the progress bar.
Here's the quote from Sergey's message [5] on November 7:

> I … confirm that it is possible to select progress bar using
> ctrl+option+up/down/left.
> Screenshot is attached to the bug.

If a similar issue exists on other platforms, you will file a bug to address
that issue. If unsure, you can file a bug to investigate whether the progress
bar is accessible or not.

Does it sound reasonable?

--
Regards,