From: Alexey Ivanov
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:18 PM
To: Sergey Bylokhov <sergey.bylok...@oracle.com>; Krishna Addepalli
<krishna.addepa...@oracle.com>; awt-dev <awt-dev@openjdk.java.net>
Subject: Re: <AWT Dev> [12]RFR: JDK-8213048: Invalid use of HTML5 in java.awt
files

Hi Krishna,

On 26/11/2018 22:13, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> Hi, Krishna.
>
>> I added the closing "</li>" tag, since it wouldn't hurt and the tool
>> was reporting it.
>
> But this tag is unused in our code, is not required by html5 and it
> was not reported in the bug report.
> So I suggest to do not add them.

I agree with Sergey. Closing tag for <li> is not required. Adding it generates
noise in code review: 2 out of 4 files do not contain tables at all. If the
closing </li> tag is to be included, it should rather be done under a separate
bugid.

>> As for the style spec, thanks for your suggestion, I have moved it to
>> the style block in the head section.
>
> Can we to drop them completely? are these custom styles really necessary?

I think we can drop all these properties at least for DesktopProperties.html.

The first table – The Standard Blocking Matrix — in Modality.html could
benefit from centring the text. On the other hand, it remains readable
and understandable when using the default left alignment.

You could also remove commented out <center> and </center> around the table:
210 <!--        <center> -->
250 <!--        </center> -->

The redundant <p> </p> at lines 209 and 211 can safely be removed.
(Empty paragraphs are ignored in HTML anyway.)

The second table in Examples is there for no particular reason. I think
presenting the examples in a nested list would be clearer than using a
table where the second column is the example number.

It could be presented as:

<ul>
         <ol>
             <li>...
         </ol>
</ul>

Isn't it better?

Modality.html extensively uses underlined text. It should rather be bold
or italic. Underline is reserved for hyperlinks and it's not recommended
to use underline for any other purpose. Shall I file a bug to clean this up?

DesktopProperties.html for some reason uses Javadoc {@code ...} and
{@link ...} formatting, it does not make sense in plain HTML. Is it yet
another bug?

--