Michael..

We may need to know a little more about your background first ..  if
you are primarily a technical person, then the legal implications of
Costing methods within Accounting may not be your greatest
interest.  Also, determining that LIFO is unacceptable to the
accounting profession almost everywhere in the world may not be a
revolutionary or challenging area of research.

Here are a few ideas:

(a)  For accounting person - determining Axapta's best capability to
meet needs of both the Management Accountant and the Financial
Accountant.  (A good topic for any ERP package evaluation)
Alternatively, investigation into Costing Recalculations and
Closes ..  how well they can cater for a particular business
scenario.

(c)  For the programmer .. Also the Costing/Recalculation algorithm
would be a productive area.  Discovering factors that lead to good
performance as opposed to factors that may cause algorithm to become
unstable.

(c)  For manufacturing person .. tons of scope.  Matching Master
Planning onto a particular business scenario would be one, and
assessing implementability.

(d)  For distribution ..  looking at miscellaneous charges business
loop.  Again how well it maps onto a particular scenario.

Please keep us posted on what you decide!  And obviously any
conclusions of some challenging research thesis would be of great
interest.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "woconnor_ca"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Costing is certainly would be an interesing topic for your thesis.
>
> As a side note LIFO does not indeed meet North American Accounting
> standards and albeit a well established costing method.
>
> It is only typically used in Europe but LIFO is a legal costing
> method just not practiced or adopted here in North America.
>
> LIFO is generally frown upon by various bodies the reason that it
is
> frown upon is that a business using FIFO accounting will show
higher
> profits in a period of rising prices than a business using LIFO
> accounting. In any event the law requires that a actual seeks
> permission in writing to use LIFO.
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Deleu,Walter"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > An interesting topic for your thesis is a comparaison of the
stock
> > validation methods used in Axapta. (FIFO, AWP, LIFO and standard
> cost).
> > Compare this methods against the law. Specialy you will find
that
> LIFO
> > doesn't match the legal prescriptions.
> > Axapta considers LIFO as a reversed FIFO and that is certainly
not
> what
> > the legal definition is.
> >
> > Good luck !!
> >
> > Walter.

And

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129vj7t5n/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
7
> 6/

D=groups/S=1705001380:HM/EXP=1097398894/A=2368837/R=0/SIG=11tdf3rom/*
> tt
> > p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185370&partid=5285298%20>
click
> here
> >

> > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
> M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
> > s/S=:HM/A=2368837/rand=764782470>
> >
> >   _____
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > *         To visit your group on the web, go to:
> >
> > *         To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> subject=Uns
> > ubscribe>
> >
> > *         Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/kGEolB/TM