From: Jesper Kehlet [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 31 January 2005 12:43
To: Axapta-Knowledge-Village@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Axapta-Knowledge-Village] announcements from MBS

I have "dealings with MBS", both here in the US, and in Denmark, but since I do not want to turn this into a name-dropping pissing contest, let's just leave it at that.  The MBS offices that used to be Navision or NavisionDamgaard offices may be biased towards Navision, but believe me when I say that corporate (Redmond/Fargo) does not exactly have as much love for that product as they do...

Anyway, from what I see and hear, and from what I'm told and what I otherwise know, there are few products that are likely to live much longer, and part of the reason for this is the cost associated with keeping several products alive and up-to-snuff with the latest legal requirements (latest and greatest here in the US is probably still the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, but as we see the convergence of GAAP and IAS evolve, I am sure there is going to be additional development there).

For example, back when I worked for Damgaard Development and we were developing XAL v2.99 (which later turned into Atlanta and then Axapta) there was no doubt that there was great support for the Concorde products such as C4, C5, XAL, but on the other hand, the greatest cost was also keeping them updated (C4 had a payroll module) while at the same time there was little new development.  The technology was simply outdated.

I see the same happening to Great Plains now.  Solomon already went that way a few months back, and Great Plains is, although a good and loved product, also a technology-wise outdated one.

I think Navision will last a couple more years, you might see another release, but that's probably going to be the end of it.  As for Great Plains...  I don't think there will be a v9, but we'll see about that, won't we?

Enjoy!