From: Subrahmanyam Mamidi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, 27 February 2005 2:18 AM
To: Axapta-Knowledge-Village@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: AW: [Axapta-Knowledge-Village] reporting tools and Axapta

Hi Rocco,

We didn't buy Axapta OLAP for our reporting. Let me briefly give me my project scenarios.
We had to develope P&L reports in Various currencies. The problem with the format of the P:&L is , some of the rows in the P&L had to be shown by Cost center /department wise while someoter rows direct account wise. And as you know Axapta can not handle multi dimensional financial reporting. Hence we opted for Targit.

Waht happens is : Targit also can not handle multi dimensiona reporting if it uses Axapta database. The problem is not with the Targit. Its the problem with Axapta. Why because, TARGIT database is directly coupled with Axapta Live database so are the tables are mapped to directly with Targit tables. So we run the DTS packae to refresh the TARGIT data base so that it will fetch the data as in Axapta at the aprticular point of time.
It lead to enough maintenace. Like suddenly they used to post some entries and they would like to see asap. Then I wake at the midnight,  and refresh the Targit EM in order to show the latest data.
Hence I created those reports in Axapta using some temp tables etc etc..

Now we are using targit only for sales reporting. Because sales data we get from XL files from outside the company. Hence we upload those data ( getting rid of Axapta tables ) in to self created tables in Targit. Hence we can show reports like anyway we wanted as its not using axapta database ( or the mapped to axapta tables ).

Shipement history by location,by customer, by product , bar,pie etc tec etc etc...
Numerous cubes and dimesions have been created to show the reports in various dimesions for these data which came from XL.

Presently, we are uploading approximately 10M records in the sales/shipment history. The performance is good.

I would say, it depends upon ur reports formats( financial ). If the reports are half single dimesional and half the report is multiple dimesional, its not Possible in targit if they are connected to axapta DB. but if you want two seperate reports, with one report single dimesional and the other report mutli dimesional, its possible in targit. But in the same report, with mixed dimensional its not possible. we have to manually created hundres of calculations which slows the targit perofrmance . its very cumbersome to make any changes to that type of reports.

I am not very sure if I have answered your Q . but if you need anymore clarifiacations, please contact me as we are using Targit since 6 months. And we know what Targit can do also.

Thanks & Regards,
subbu

Rocco Giumelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Subbu

Do you like the OLAP that is within Axapta or a SQL Bolt-on ? Multi dimension is critical in our workplace.

My major concern is that Axapta Internal OLAP will slow everything else down while it builds the cubes or does anything quick and easy for the boss.. Can you explain 'can't handle multiple dimensional financial reports' like Branch & Department & Purpose , or do you mean more than that.

Thankyou for taking the time to express an opinion.

Rocco