hi,

My understanding of ur processes -

1. You always Purchase this Item

2. In rare case u need to do some Quality Testing and
minor modification it.

So here what i think -

1. Setup the Purchase item of type - Item

2. Create another Item of type - BOM, where the BOM
line will be the Item you pruchase.

So when you require to do so, can create a Production
order for the new BOM item and plan and......all other
things which Axapta Production provides.

3. After you complete the Production ... report as
finished ... costing. Pass an Inventory movement
Journal - deducting the produced quantity of the BOM
item with the cost price of that production
and increase the same of quantity of the Purchase Item
with the same cost price.

example -

1. Item A (Type - Item) - Purchase Item qty-10 at
price 10, so cost price 10.

2. New Item B (Type - BOM) - Production Item.

3. Lets say 2 Pcs of Item require QA and minor re-work
or mod.

4.As Item A is in the BOM Line of Item B's BOM
create a Production order for item B and complete the
Production cycle.

5. After Production you get item B, qty 2 cost price
15

6. Post an Inventory Movement Journal where the lines
are

Item B   qty = -2, cost price (use the cost price of
that production)= 15, so total amount = -30, the
storage dimensions and financial dimensions as per
requirement.

Item A  qty = +2, cost price (use the same cost price
as above line) = 15, total amount is 30

and Post it.
I assume here the cost of QA and minor adjustment will
be consumed in Item A if not then u have Post the
Inventory Journal as per the requirement.

When u pass this Inventory Journal - ur Stock for Item
B will be Zero and item A will be 10, with the updated
cost price.

So you can sell Item A.

i hope this helps you
regards