suppose you already on Axapta 3.0 SP3 ,
here my recomendations :
1. please run Inventory closing by 2 tier configuration
2.Please run multiple inventory closing on multiple workstation as much as
possible ( depend on user license )
3. Run inventory closing at night
4. if in the morning the calculation not finished yet , stop the calculation
by calculation stop button and continue later
5.To address this issue, customers' system administrators must add one line
in
the InventCostItemDim\run before the first while loop:

loopX = 0;

as shown in the following:

else

{
    this.updateSettleRefItem(inventCostList.ItemId);
    mapLoopTrans    = new map(types::INTEGER,types::RECORD);
    mapLoopDim      = new map(types::INTEGER,types::RECORD);
    loopX           = 0;
    queryRun =
inventCostHelp.initQueryRunTrans(this.inventTable(inventCostList.ItemId));
    while (queryRun.next())
    {
      loopX++;
      mapLoopTrans.insert(loopX,queryRun.get(tableNum(InventTrans)));
      mapLoopDim.insert(loopX,queryRun.get(tableNum(InventDim)));
    }
    loopMax = loopX;
    loopX   = 0;
    while (loopX < loopMax)
    {
      loopX++;
      this.updateItemDim(mapLoopTrans.lookup(loopX),mapLoopDim.lookup(loopX));
    }
 }

HTH
sas