I think you don't need to use payment schedule for partial invoice.  You need to update the packing slip with partial quantity. Select Parameters: All at SO header level and click lines and enter the quantity in Update field and posting the packing slip.  While posting the invoice select the Packing slip in the SO Parameters and post.  This will post the invoice as per the packing list quantity.

Good luck.

Robert Champion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thank you.   That will work.   Now that I fully understand their problem.   They were looking for a way that the payment schedule lines would be updated automatically to match the invoice total from the partial shipment.  This would probably require a great deal of programming I imagine.  The manual process will work for now as it only affects certain customers on a payment schedule.

madtrs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You must click the Setup Button/Payment
Schedule/Payment Lines or second tab.  The sum of
these lines must equal the Invoice Total.  If the sum
of the lines do not equal the invoice total, delete
excess lines.  Then, try to post the invoice.

http://farechase.yahoo.com