Thanks for the responses. One other thing i came across is the retry
field in Axapta configuration (in database tab) which allows me to
increase the retry timer.

The code seems ok, so my next assumption is that the retry is done 3
times but too quickly and the lock is not yet released. I couldn't find
anywhere in Axapta config to change the number of retries from 3 to a
higher value so i am changing the retry timer from default to 2 seconds
to see if it resolves the issue.