--- In Axapta-Knowledge-Village@yahoogroups.com, "leolql2003"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> In Axapta 3.0, each account has three posting layers. They are
> Current, Operations and Tax. Meanwhile, I can find 6 fields
> corresponding to these 3 layers in the table LedgerBalancesTrans.
> They are DebitMST, CreditMST, DebitOPRMST, CreditOPRMST,
DebitTaxMST
> and CreditTaxMST.
> When I get the account balance in the form chart of accounts,
Axapta
> will return different balance for different posting layer
according
> to the balance setup in Genernal ledger/Chart of
> Accounts/Balance/Setup.
> And I am confused with the account balance for the 3 posting
layers.
> So I raised 4 questions about it as follow and hope someone can
give
> me some directions. Thanks in advance.
> 1. What are the 3 posting layers (Current, Operations and Tax)
used
> for? What is the purpose of the posting layers concept in Axapta?
> 2. Which layer will be the amount posted to, when posting an
invoice
> in sales order or purchase order.
> 3. What layers account balance will be printed out when I print
out
> a finacial statement and trial balance report?
> 4¡¢Can I increass or decrease one or more posting layers in the
> system myself?
>
> Best Regards
> Leo

Hi Leo,
As a functional AX user, I can respond to some of your questions
regarding the functionality of posting layers.

1)  Posting layers can be used to separate TAX adjustments from
current activity.  For example, say for US GAAP, we have end-of-year
accruals, or depreciation on assets is spread over 30 years,
evenly.  For submission to some taxing entities, depreciation may be
accelerated over 5 years, instead of 30, and possible accruals may
not be recognized.  These differences/adjustments are recorded in
the TAX layer. To report on US GAAP books, only the current layer is
used in the reporting, whereas when reporting to the taxing entity,
the combination of the current & Tax layer are used.  The
ledgertrans table has a field specifically for identifying the
posting layers so reporting can be sliced & diced a different way.
The operations layer can be used in a similar fashion although I
noticed that some of the reporting within AX comes a little short on
the operations layer, at least in our AX version.

2)  We don't use sales or purchase orders, but I know that AP
invoice recording journals will NOT allow any posting layer other
than current.  So the answer is likely that these orders will only
post to current layer.  Which, from a business perspective, that
would be the best practice.

3)  For the canned financial statements such as the trial balance or
balance list, there is an option to select the posting layer in the
query field, but under the Axapta version we are one, this filter
doesn't work - the results we always get is the current layer. We
haven't pursued a fix for this yet - there may be one out there.

For the financials statements that one can define within AX, when
the column info is defined, there is a field called transaction type
where the different posting layers/or combinations of, can be
selected.  I haven't tested to see if the "select" option when
running the report can override the testing layers defined.

4)Beyond my knowledge!

Hope this helps,
NC