Hi everyone

I found the problem with debugging.  It is a undocumented (or very little
documented) way AX works.

Okay it's a little of a long story but basically the tax is being calculated
on the total (even though you set it in Led/parm to be by Line)

So if you create sales line for item EB1430H (price 95.35) first and check
tax (10%) it puts it correct as 9.54

Now you add a line for item EB14B (price 91.15) and you will find the tax is
9.12 and for EB1430H is now 9.53!!!

This is because the system takes the total amount first (91.15 + 95.35=
186.5). Why total and not line amount I explain later at the bottom.

10% of 186.5 = 18.65

Now AX I believe will allocate from this 18.65 starting with the sales line
that has the smallest amount (i.e. any tax rounding diff we want to put on
the biggest valued item).

So 10% of 91.15 = 9.12 (after rounding) to EB14B

186.5 - 9.12 = 9.53 left for Eb1430H

9.53 is left and is allocated to EB1430H and not 9.54 that we want

Therefore to verify:

1)       You should not have problem when only have a single line on your
sales order (because line and total are same value)

2)       Allocation I believe is to sales line with smallest value first (so
that line with biggest value gets any difference) but I have only done a
simple test to prove this (i.e. change the prices round on the lines and
that tax rounding follows goes to the line with the higher price)

Why does it not use Line calc from ledger parm? This is not well documented
(I thought there was some obscure comment in the online help I once came
across and thought 'what the heck are they trying to tell me' and just gave
up).  Anyway based on debug of the code I quickly see, the system checks
whether in the Tax Code the 'Marginal base' is set as 'Net amount of invoice
balance'.  In which case it always calculates the tax based on the total
invoice amount regardless of the ledger parameter settings.

I changed this to 'Net amount per line' and then the tax comes out correct

The help/explanation are not really very clear on this 'Marginal base' field
(I always thought it only selects what tax rate to use and does not affect
whether it uses line or total)

Thanks
James