Sorry everyone I didn't quite finish my problem, let me try again sorry

Hi everyone, I am embarking on a project that requires the splitting of an
item into smaller sizes.

I could do a stock movement but of course the cost should follow the split
so this approach is not good enough.  So I have considered BOM but it is not
a very good fit (user not want to create and maintain BOM items especially
as every split can be different so there is no fixed rule)

Therefore I was wondering can I make use of the returnlotid on the
inventtrans?

My idea is to have a movement journal that writes out the main item and then
brings back in all the smaller items and these have the returnlotid pointing
to the original?  The problem is the smaller items make use of the size and
color dimensions (i.e. they are different to the original) and so std Ax
does not allow me to pick the original lotid.  Can I just override the
selection?  I mean is the return lot id just used to look up the cost of the
issue trans so that the cost of the original can be assigned to the new
incoming or is there some linkage or something where it is important to keep
within the same size and color?

Any other way to do such?  Is there things I can do to have normal 'Item'
type items but able to perform the report as finished for them?  In terms of
costing technical how are the consumed items in a report as finished journal
costed into the final product?

Appreciate any input

Thanks

James