I recently ran into this problem with the SalesTax field on the Sales Tax
List Report.  I received advice from a veteran Axapta developer which saved
time and fixed the same problem in multiple areas.

First you will need to find the name of the extended data type.  Then go
into the AOT under "Data Dictionary", expand the "Entended Data Types" and
look at the properties.  For TaxCode is shows the string Size is 10 but the
display lenghth is 7.  Duh!  Change the dispaly length property to 10 or 11
characters and the TaxCode displays properly on all reports.

Good luck!

Mike Matta