Hi Samar,
For getting Serial Number generation, you have to follow these steps:

1. First of all, in Inventory Management->Setup-> Dimensions-> Number
Groups; you have to create a record for generating Serial Number. In that
record you will define the way you want to create Serial Number. You can
define it as Automatically generated or Manual creation in the General Tab
of this form. Here you can attach a Number Sequence also. In the activation
Tab you can define to generate these numbers on particular modules.

2. After that, you create a Dimension Group where Serial Number Check (for
Storage Dimension) is active.

3. You attach this Dimension Group to the Items where you want to generate
the Serial Number. Whenever you do a transactionthen based on the settings
of General Tab and Activation Tab of Number Groups Form, system will create
the Serial Numbers for the Item.

I hope this solves your query. Please correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

Thanks and Regards,
Swati Kabra.