Hi George,

You can declare the variable  by assigning it between % *variable* % in
email template editor window.To Assign value to this variable use method
SysEmailMessage::stringExpand(str, Map); *Str* decide whether text is
Message or Subject of email .

str Message
Map paramMap
paramMap    = new Map(Types::String,Types::String);
paramMap.insert('CustomerName', salesTable.accountNum);
paramMap.insert('SalesId', salesTable.SalesId);
Message = SysEmailMessage::stringExpand(SysEmailTemplate.Mail, paramMap);

Regards
NS