I did this upgrade.  I had no significant pain areas for code upgrade.
 The data upgrade was a bit of a problem for where new unique indexes
were added. My solution was to change the index when the upgrade
identified it to allow duplicates.  I could then finish the upgrade
and then examine the data issues thereafter and restore the indexes to
be unique again.

Also, if CRM was in use in 4.0, the activities number sequence was
moved out of the CRM module to the Basic module so it was necessary to
delete the number sequence reference to fix error messages.

The upgrade manual warns of other issues with data upgrade (at the
end) so it is wise to read through those as well.