What you suggest might work fine for now. However, I had a lot of
trouble when I tried to upgrade an environment from 4.0 to AX 2009
where demo data had been loaded into the DAT company. Even trying to
run the DatabaseTransDelete and deleting records in master records did
not resolve my difficulties. There are so very many tables into which
data had been loaded - I could not find them all. I could not do the
post Synchronize steps for the upgrade. I got all kinds of errors that
I just could not resolve.

If I were you, I would create a clean installation -- export all 20
companies and import them into the clean company. Export DAT company
and import to the new company.  Ultimately, that is what I did to be
able to do data upgrade. I exported the desired companies, imported
them into a clean 4.0 upgrade never touching the DAT company. Finally
then, I was able to get through the data upgrade successfully.

I know that sounds terribly painful.  Perhaps you will not have
problems until it is time to upgrade to a new release. But you asked
for us to let you know about the "challenges".

Mary Ann