for the installation of AX 4.0 follow below steps

1. Install windows 2003 server in virtual machine
2. Install IIS, .NET Frameworks 3.5 service pack
3. create domain in windows 2003 server
4. Install SQL Server 2005
5. Install service pack 2 or higher for sql server 2k5
6. Install Visual Basic
6. Install Biztalk Server but don't configure it
7. Install the AX 4.0 in development mode. In this mode you would not be
required to go for any configuration manually. system will pick
automatically the settings.

thanks & regards,
Irshad