Do you have an index on the table that could make it quicker to
select the records for the sum?  So, for example, if you are
getting a total on Sales by SalesStatus, using the SalesLine table,
then there is an index (already setup) called "StatusItemIdx" that could speed
up the processing.

So you may need to create an index on your table that can speed up the
select process for the sum.