Ben,

On October 4, 2006 10:12 PM you wrote:
> Looking at your errors, I'm guessing that revision 3 of your
> repository is some monstrously huge thing,

It's big with a few monstrously huge files (the infamous zips
directory).

> and that it's taking hours to commit...

As I recall 'svk smerge' it took about an hour to commit rev 3
including the zips directory and proceeded to the point of hitting
the quota limit after a few more hours. Even while using svk
it was interrupted a few times with http/webdav related errors
like

   502 Bad Gateway

But I was able to restart it.

> and then poof, you lose the connection or something.

That happened once (the first time) in my most recent attempt
to populate the repository.

> That's not good.  We obviously need to add a --verbose option
> to 'svnsync' so that we can see what path it's pushing around,
> much like one sees with dump/load.

That would be real nice.

> Anyway, yeah, r2 is the latest in the repository, and svnsync
> left markers saying what it was doing:
>
> $ svn proplist --verbose --revprop -r0
> http://axiom.googlecode.com/svn/
> Unversioned properties on revision 0:
>   svn:sync-from-uuid : 54bea96e-1511-0410-8851-aaeae44645fa
>   svn:sync-currently-copying : 3
>   svn:sync-last-merged-rev : 2
>   svn:sync-from-url : file:///home/page/axiom-sf
>   svn:date : 2006-04-10T15:40:55.446251Z
>
> Because svn has atomic commits, and because svnsync recorded what
> it was doing, in *theory* you should just be able to restart the
> sync, and have it pick up where it left off.  Sure enough, it
> seems like you did that.

Twice. With different error results each time. My first repeat
(using nohup to avoid the disconnnect problem) I got:

  svnsync: Caught signal

What was that? Did someone abort the process? What signal?

The second repeat (same as the first repeat) yielded:

  403 Forbidden

> So the only remaining mystery is:  why did the http PUT of
> that one file give an authz error?   It might be a bug in our
> custom authorization module, but I'm not sure.

Perhaps a consequence of the previous two failed attempts?

> Can we try two things:
>
> * try running sync a couple more times, see if it ever
> successfuly commits r3.

Ok.

> * put a tar.gz of the repository somewhere, so I can play with
> it myself?  I'd like to try pushing the history into a scratch
> project myself, to see if I can reproduce that 403 error.

Great. Thanks for your help.

Why not just rsync our repository directly from SourceForge:

  $export RSYNC_PROXY=rsync-svn.sourceforge.net:80
  $mkdir -p ~/axiom-sf
  $rsync -v -a rsync-svn-a::svn/axiom/* ~/axiom-sf

Then just access it as a local repository

  file:///~/axiom-sf

> (As a last ditch thing, i can also manually 'svnadmin load'
> your history directly to our servers if we decide to give up on
> svnsync... we've already done that for emacspeak and some other
> projects.)

You say when you've had enough trying to make this work.

Of course our primary objective here is just to get the Axiom
repository on Google!

Regards,
Bill Page.