Is it possible that this is just a program that changes the *nix style
line-feeds terminated lines to the DOS style carrage-return + line-feeds
terminated lines for ascii text files?  If it just scanned over the bytes of
a binary file, that would certainly screw it up.  On my Slackware box there
is a program like this called `todos' and inverse command called `fromdos'
which would assumedly fix the problem, if that were the problem...

Zach