Keith Devlin writes: All the mathematical methods I learned in my
university math degree
becamse obsolete in my lifetime.

Dr Keith Devlin is a mathematician at Stanford University in Palo Alto,
California.

When I graduated with a bachelors degree in mathematics from one of the
most prestigious university mathematics programs in the world (Kings
College London) in 1968, I had acquired a set of skills that guaranteed
full employment, wherever I chose to go, for the then-foreseeable future—a
state of affairs that had been in existence ever since modern mathematics
began some three thousand years earlier. By the turn of the new Millennium,
however, just over thirty years later, those skills were essentially
worthless, having been very effectively outsourced to machines that did it
faster and more reliably, and were made widely available with the onset of
first desktop- and then cloud-computing. In a single lifetime, I
experienced first-hand a dramatic change in the nature of mathematics and
how it played a role in society.

The shift began with the introduction of the electronic calculator in the
1960s, which rendered obsolete the need for humans to master the ancient
art of mental arithmetical calculation. Over the succeeding decades, the
scope of algorithms developed to perform mathematical procedures steadily
expanded, culminating in the creation of desktop packages such as
*Mathematica* and cloud-based systems such as *Wolfram Alpha* that can
execute pretty well any mathematical procedure, solving—accurately and in a
fraction of a second—any mathematical problem formulated with sufficient
precision (a bar that allows in all the exam questions I and any other math
student faced throughout our entire school and university careers).

So what, then, remains in mathematics that people need to master? The
answer is, the set of skills required to make effective use of those
powerful new (procedural) mathematical tools we can access from our
smartphone. Whereas it used to be the case that humans had to master the
computational skills required to *carry out* various mathematical
procedures (adding and multiplying numbers, inverting matrices, solving
polynomial equations, differentiating analytic functions, solving
differential equations, etc.), what is required today is a sufficiently
deep *understanding* of all those procedures, and the underlying concepts
they are built on, in order to know when, and how, to use those
digitally-implemented tools effectively, productively, and safely.