Hi Josef,

The builder & document logic is as follows. The document will always have
a builder and the builder is responsible for creating the document. That
is why it doesn't make sense to free only the document. Reconstructing a
document would involve reconstructing a builder.

It would be better if you could attach the stack trace from your debugger
to diagnose the exact problem, but as far as I know, when you create a
copy of your hash table, the values inside it are simply passed as shallow
copies. That means, your duplicated string resides on the heap and the
hash will have a reference. When you copy your hash, the old as well as
the new one will have the same reference. Then, when you free one, the
other would rather be having a dangling pointer.

The workaround is to change the way you duplicate your hash and get onto
safe grounds. You'd create your hash copy from scratch and iterate through
your original hash and add element by element to the new hash. You can
then do the duplication of strings and create deep copies. This can be
sort of a tedious process. You can get help by reading through the hash.c
source file and see how the hash is copied.

There might not be a bug in the existing implementation in terms of the
way the hashes are copied, because we can't force a user to always
allocate objects on the heap because shallow copies are much faster. Thus,
if a user wishes to do heap allocations and at the same time to duplicate
hashes, he will rather have to override the default behavior.

I believe this might solve your issue. But, I can't guarantee as I have
not seen the exact stack trace or the point at which it breaks.

Hi Devs,

Please correct me if this should not be the desired behavior. And, if it
is not, this is invariably a bug in the way we copy hashes. Also, please
note that it is documented that axutil_hash_copy() creates a shallow copy.
And, I have assumed that the documentation justifies the logic I speak of.

However, I believe that even if this logic is justifiable it is strongly
recommended that we should introduce another method
axutil_hash_copy_deep() that does a deep copy instead of a shallow copy.
What do you say?

Regards,
Senaka