+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjiva Weerawarana [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
Sanjiva Weerawarana; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: update on axis-c++

Hi Everyone,

I would like to give an update on the axis-c++ effort that we're
doing here in Sri Lanka. As some of you know, I have organized
an open-source software foundation in Sri Lanka to get local
developers to participate in open-source projects. Axis-C++ is
our first effort. This is being worked on by the following
folks:
    Chaminda Divitotawela
    Nuwan Gurusinghe
    Susantha Kumara
    Damitha Kumarage
    Nadika Ranasinghe
    Sanjaya Sinharage
    Roshan Weerasuriya
Susantha, Damitha, Sanjaya and Roshan are working full-time on this
effort. Nuwan and Chaminda are spending 2 days a week and Nadika
one day a week. Susantha is the technical lead of the team. I work
with them to help understand stuff and to help guide the
architecture etc..

I had previously organized a group of folks from here to work on
a client-side C++ impl - that is currently committed at
    ws-axis/contrib/Axis-C++
The current work has focused on the server-side. We intend to go
back to the client-side code and bring it in alignment with the
server-side code, but the work so far been on the server side.

We had a phone call with Dims a while ago when he explained the
overall Axis architecture and what he wanted us to do before the
work could be moved to the mainstream. The current status is that
we've developed an architecture for the server side and prototyped
most of it. A draft document explaining the architecture is
attached. The model supports all the usual Axis concepts (WSDD,
handlers, etc.) but is a bit different in the internal guts. I
assume that is not a problem .. the main motivation to change was
to try to move to a more pull-oriented approach and hopefully a
higher performant approach. All of this stuff can be discussed and
adjusted once we get this going mainstream, of course.

I have also attached a jar file containing the main source. The
attached isn't enough to compile (it doesn't include all the
dependencies) but enough to give you an idea of the current status.

What I'd like to do is the following:
    - commit the code to the main repository at ws-axis/c++/...
    - make the authors committers
    - run in regular mode: design, implement, etc. etc.

Dims suggested that we take a vote on how to move forward. Here's
my +1 to the above approach.

What do you think?

Sanjiva.