To: <axis-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [axis2] Dispatchers

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 12:46 -0400, Glen Daniels wrote:

What I'm trying to say is that we should NOT hard-code the dispatch
order, we should have it simply exist as configuration in the default
axis2.xml file.

+1 .. Deepal what's the advantage of having it fixed programmatically
instead of being read in from the config?

In the first place we did not think that we want to change Dispatching order, but when it come to WS-S we realized that there are instance that require different dispatching order. And in the mean while 99% of the time no one is going to change the order so its worth to hard code that.

Any way at the deployment time , always load those order and populate dispatching order using that.

 To do this we either use current <handler> syntax:

         <handler name="MyDispatcher"
                  class="package.MyDispatcher">
             <order phase="Dispatch"/>
         </handler>

or my suggested simpler syntax:

         <phaseOrder>
           <phase name="Dispatch">
             <handler name="MyDispatcher"
                      class="package.MyDispatcher"/>
           </phase>
         </phaseOrder>

Does the latter syntax imply we can remove the first form? If so +1 for
the latter otherwise I don't think we need alternate syntax for this
type of stuff because changing dispatchers type work is not a regular
user activity .. or even close to it.

In the second approach it leads to configure handler chain using axis2.xml , I mean we have no control over avoiding that if we give that flexibility. And other thing is though Dispatcher is a handler , it can not override invoke() method (if it extend from AbstarctDispatcher) so we have to treat dispatcher as a dispatcher (there are some logic that need to be there).

That is why I came up with <dispctchingOrder> XML syntax to order dispatchers.

Sanjiva.