I've been looking into implementing unwrapping of method call parameters for JiBX. The current code generation approach uses several different XSLT templates, with some templates just generating generic code for handling the service operations while the details of conversions to and from XML are handled by toOm()/toEnvelope() and fromOm() that are specific to the data binding approach being used. For unwrapped handling I think we need to change the code generation to use an in-line approach, where the data binding framework is invoked to generate code that gets embedded directly within the operation method on the client stub, or within the invokeBusinessLogic method of the message receiver on the server. The reason I'm suggesting this is because the current approach of calling other methods gets very messy when you're passing or returning a list of objects, rather than just a single object.

I don't know how well this will fit with the current org.apache.axis2.wsdl.codegen.emitter.AxisServiceBasedMultiLanguageEmitter. At a minimum, it's going to need to pass additional information in the XML documents used to drive the code generation (since each data binding framework will have it's own approach to handle unwrapping, and will need to pass the appropriate information to its code generation template). I can just start extending the current code to support unwrapped with JiBX, but figured I'd bring it up for discussion first to see if anyone else is working in this area.

To enable unwrapping I assume we'll want a WSDL2Java flag, as in Axis1. Each framework would be able to check this flag and then set per-operation flags to control the code generation, selecting between the current form (toOm()/toEnvelope() and fromOm()) and an unwrapped approach. The AxisServiceBasedMultiLanguageEmitter would then use this per-operation flag to control how that operation is generated.

 - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA, Web Services, and XML