Hi Tom,
I am neither an Ant fan nor a maven fan but I believe in picking the
"right tool for the job" :)
In terms of ease of maintenance and improved functionality i would say
maven is a better tool for the job than Ant.
I don't think dumping maven completely would be seen as a possible
alternative :)

Ajith