Hello David,

Please see my comments below.

Cheers

Brian DePradine
Web Services Development
IBM Hursley
External  +44 (0) 1962 816319         Internal 246319

If you can't find the time to do it right the first time, where will you
find the time to do it again?

"David Illsley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 09/10/2007 14:04:37:

> As discussed a couple of months back, the current one-shot
> WS-Addressing header extraction isn't suited for use with security.
> This is because either:
> 1. Addressing runs before security and populates fields such as
> ReplyTo/FaultTo which, if later found to be invalid would not be
> un(de?)populated (which is a security risk).
> 2. Addressing runs after security, hence interoperable Operation-Level
> security is not possible as it relies on the WS-A Action/WS-A
> RelatesTo for operation identification.
>
> I've thought about this problem a fair bit and I'm of the opinion that
> security is important enough that we should break the WS-A headers
> apart and change the model slightly.
>
> The following proposal is very much open to change, but I do believe
> is in the right general direction.
>
> AddressingDispatchExtractor
>   -- Extracts wsa:Action and/or wsa:RelatesTo value
>   -- Determines the correct AxisOperation/OperationContext for security
>     -- Does not set them in normal place on message context in case
> they are invalid
>     -- Places them on message context as properties
>   -- Sets WS-A namespace on message context to allow security + later
> WS-A handers to proces the correct headers
>
> SecurityHandler(s)
>   -- Configured based on the AxisOperation extracted by the
> AddressingDispatchExtractor
>   -- Validates the WS-A headers with the selected namespace (if
appropriate)

> AddressingRemainderInHandler
>   -- Extracts remaining WS-A headers and sets them on the MessageContext
>   -- Amalgem of AddressingFinalInHandler and
AddressingSubmissionInHandler
>     -- Namespace has already been selected so makes sense to combine

Are you saying that the AddressingRemainderInHandler will no longer set
the wsa:Action and wsa:RelatesTo values on the message context? I am
trying to understand what you mean by "Remainder". Isn't this just the
current AddressingInHandler with the function of the
AddressingFinalInHandler and AddressingSubmissionInHandler pushed down
into it?