Not answering the original question, but want to share a similar
question that I had in the beginning of Axis2 design - if the entire
content of a SOAP message is meant for consumption at various phases
by various components, the round-trip performance of message parsing
by StAX shouldn't be higher than that of SAX parser, at least
theoritically. After all, whether it is pull or push, I think every
xml chunk in the SOAP message has to be consumed somewhere during the
message processing.

I'm also delighted by the performance of Axis2 (great job folks), and
also like to know the reasons, probably not related to StAX parser.

thanks
Venkat