The job of the MessageReceiver is to take a "normalized" message (i.e. something that looks like SOAP) and "do some valid work" with it - so this might mean mapping to a Java method and databinding, or calling out to a piece of hardware, or handing the contents of the body to a cached instance of a particular class. It's the job of the earlier parts of the system - the transport code, the Builder, etc - to map the real wire message to the normalized form.

If we're using the MessageReceiver to do things like pull data from query parameters, then I put forth that we've designed that system incorrectly, and should fix it. Some earlier chunk of code should do this.

Thanks,
--Glen

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
Deepal, the REST "deserialization" requires one to know the binding to know where to pull stuff from (query params, payload etc.). See WSDL 2.0 HTTP binding to understand how that works.

So that has to happen post-dispatch.

Sanjiva.

Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
It is possible that a single POJO (for example) can offer both a
RESTful interface and a normal SOAP interface. In fact, that can
happen by having both JAX-RS and JAX-WS annotations on the same pojo.
Well even without having those annotation we can expose a POJO as a SOAP
and REST. I mean REST and SOAP just the wire format , internally what
happen is everything get converted into SOAP and at the end POJO class
receive a SOAP message.
We currently can't handle that because the message receiver is
associated with the AxisOperation and not BindingOperation. IMO that
was a mistake ..
Well no , because BindingOperation introduced after the AxisOperation :) .
So what we talked about was to introduce the ability to set the MR on
the binding operation but to keep the ability to set it on the
operation itself. That allows us to be totally backwards compatible
but it solve the problem for wanting both a RESTful and a WS-* binding
for the same operation for example.
I can not still understand why we need new MR , because at the core what
we use is SOAP not anything else , and at the end I mean at the
Transport sender level we serialize that to REST or SOAP. Which is done
by Message formatters.

-Deepal
Thoughts?

Sanjiva.