It really depends on your interests and the kind of contribution your
instructor is expecting. One idea that comes to my mind is helping us
optimizing the performance of Axis2. There are several reasons why
this would be interesting to us:

- There have been reports [1] that the performance of Axis2 1.5 is not
as good as expected.
- To my knowledge, we don't do systematic performance tests. On the
other hand, performance is an important quality attribute for a Web
service framework.
- I did some profiling on Axiom (the XML object model used by Axis2)
and there is definitely room for improvement.

Depending on your available time, this could involve the following tasks:

- Define a set of typical use cases for which we want to test/compare
performance.
- Define a test methodology and select appropriate tools.
- Implement the use cases using Axis2 and some other SOAP stacks (CXF,
JAX-WS reference implementation, etc.).
- Measure the performance and compare the results obtained from
different Axis2 versions and different SOAP stacks.
- Investigate what changes (between different Axis2 versions) or
architectural differences (between different SOAP stacks) can explain
the observed results.
- Investigate where and how Axis2 performance can be improved.

Of course, for all these tasks, you would interact with the developer
community to get the required input.

Regards,

Andreas

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/vkxfbebh7opwo46d