Following up on some earlier discussions of Axis2/Rampart WS-Security performance, devWorks has now published my latest article in the Java Web Services series, comparing Axis2/Rampart with Metro WS-Security performance: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jws11/ The results are very bad for Axis2/Rampart, with Metro more than twice as fast overall in the WS-Security tests.

As mentioned in the article, some timing tests with org.apache.rampart.TIME logging seemed to indicate that a lot of the overhead is actually occurring outside the Rampart handler. I suspect that Axis2 has fallen into the same performance pit as Axis in doing conversions to and from different forms of the message.

If anyone is interested in investigating further, the full source code for the performance comparison is available as a download from the article.

 - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
Java XML and Web Services