> is it that the response soap message structure/format should be in
accordance with the wsdl most of the times or it can be different
provided we have custom (de)serializer on the client side ?

No,

The request and response messages have to conform to the WSDL. Always.

A custom serializer is not intended to morph the XML on the wire so that
it does not comply with the WSDL.  A Custom serializer is intended to
bridge between your chosen in-memory representation (a graph of objects)
and the contracted "wire format", described in the WSDL.

What Anne has said previously is,
Given a valid WSDL, any client should be able to interact with it.
True.

Now, if what you want is, on the client side, to instantiate a
particular set of object types, .... That may require a custom
serializer or de-serializer on the client side.

In the same way, if on the server side you have an existing set of
objects, you may want to map between a relatively flat and simple XML
wire structure (for example), and a relatively hierarchical object
graph.  Hence, a custom serializer.

You can also do this bridging, in application code, "manually".

Thank you for the response. So is it that the response soap message
structure/format should be in accordance with the wsdl most of the times
or it can be different provided we have custom (de)serializer on the
client side ?

Thanks,
Kumar.