As a test, you might try this.  It worked for me using xml-rpc when the certificate on the host was not a trusted certificate.

Step 1  Create your own Host Verifier that will accept anything  mine looks like this:
class NullHostnameVerifier implements javax.net.ssl.HostnameVerifier {
        public boolean verify(String urlHostname, SSLSession session){
            return true;

Step 2   Before using https set your null verifier as the default

HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultHostnameVerifier(new NullHostnameVerifier());

When I did this, it would accept any certificate without caring if it was trusted or not.  I only needed it for a test implementation -- the live version checks.