According to the WSDL, there should be only one LogonToConnector
element. The message should look like the first message you posted
(the one generated by your Java application. I have no idea why the
stub generates an extra LogonToConnector element, or why that message
seems to work. I also don't know why the stub adds the xsi:type
attribute to the <UniformLoginCredentials> element. (It shouldn't.)

Can you review for us again the sequence you went through to create
the service and the client?

I also suggest that you edit the WSDD typeMapping to specify:
qname="ns:DatabaseID" rather than
qname="ns:>UniformLoginCredentialsType>DatabaseID"

Also, what version of Axis are you using?

Anne