I have almost the problem as Jonathan.  I'm running Tomcat 5.5.9 with Java 1.5
on Linux.  My message reads:

See http://xml.apache.org/security/ {4}
The root cause was: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory

This happens whether I put xmlsec-1.2.1.jar in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib or
$CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed.  When I put xmlsec-1.2.1.jar in
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib, the message was

See http://xml.apache.org/security/ {4}
The root cause was: {0}

What does this mean?  Should I be using an older version of xmlsec-1.2.1.jar?