I seriously advise the WSDL-first approach - if you have that option. The
only time I'd use Java2WSDL is if I have an *existing* Java API that I want
to "expose" as a web service. When I first started playing around with Axis,
I broke my head over the Java-first approach for weeks... then I switched to
WSDL-first and it worked like a dream. The WSDL is the "contract" for your
web service - the fact that it's Java + Axis that implements it behind the
scenes is purely incidental.

Just FYI I have several webservices with Axis 1.2 and VB .NET as both
clients and servers, and interop has worked like a dream so far. The editor
I use for WSDL is Cape Clear's free SOA editor -
http://www.capescience.com/soa/index.shtml.

PS one more advantage of WSDL-first is that you learn *much* more...