you need a log4j.properties file in your classpath or you need to call
org.apache.log4j.BasicConfigurator.configure();
before any logging starts (i.e., in a static block in your main class) - the
log4j.properties file in the
WEB-INF/classes directory works better.  see previous emails for a good
log4j.properties file for Axis.