heh... I just read my own message, allow me to clarify:

I have a java application deployed on my axis server (the wsdd method,
not the jws method) and the application depends on an outside jar file.
I've tried putting the jar file in the WEB-INF/lib directory but
AxisServlet didn't seem to find it (there is a java.lang.NoClassDefFound
error in my catalina.out log).

How can I specify to axis or to tomcat where to find classes it needs to
run my applications?