I have a situation where I'm running a service and a client of the same service in one vm. So I've deleted the wsdl2java generated type (the type of the argument to a service method) because I have a jar with the actual type already. The argument type contains a String and a byte[] and the byte[] is the part that isn't getting to the service correctly. I'm not sure if it is a serialization or deserialization problem. I've added the typemapping from my server side wsdd to my client wsdd but that didn't fix things. Any ideas?