Hello.  I apologize if this has been asked and answered before.  The archive search functionality on the site was giving me an error.

I am testing various WS toolkits against our own Web Service and would like to provide sample code for our customers.  I am now looking at Axis and WSS4J (for signing the outgoing requests) and I do not know what sort of exception handling I should put in my sample client code.  Is there documentation or sample code somewhere that demonstrates the exceptions that we should look out for and how to handle them when calling a WS operation?  Specifically, I would like to be able to tell if a timeout occurred while waiting for the web service’s reply.  It is crucial that our clients know whether that’s that case so they could follow-up on that particular request.

I’ve looked in the samples and they all just throw and/or catch the generic Exception class.  I’ve also google’d and found nothing.

The only two classes that my compiler is forcing me to catch are:

javax.xml.rpc.ServiceException

java.rmi.RemoteException

From my initial searches on these two exceptions, I could not find anything regarding timeouts.  All I know is RemoteException may actually be an AxisFault or a NoEndPointException (any others?).  Will a timeout show up as an AxisFault, perhaps?  If so, what is the faultcode I should look out for?

I guess I could force our WS to not reply so as to trigger a timeout but I would appreciate off-hand information from anyone.  I would still love some general exception handling guidelines for Axis clients.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ever